The application procedure and required documents for both M.S. and Ph.D. applicants are described here. Please note that the GRE exam is not required for the M.S. application (it is optional).
- APPLICATION FORM - Instructions and link to on-line application can be found on the Graduate School website
- APPLICATION FEE: $80
- THREE ACADEMIC RECOMMENDATIONS - The Graduate School will e-mail referees with instructions for electronically submitting recommendations.
- OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPTS of all undergraduate and graduate institutions attended (1 copy of each). Unoffical copies are acceptable for review purposes, however official transcrips will be required if enrolling.
- OFFICIAL GRE (required for PhD application, optional for MS application) AND TOEFL TEST SCORES: Unofficial scores are acceptable for review purposes, however official score reports will be required if enrolling.
- DEADLINE: January 15th for PhD and MS applications. There is no deadline for the Accelerated MS program (for UMass undergraduate students only): applications are accepted and evaluated throughout the year.
- FINANCIAL STATEMENT - If enrolling, international students must complete the "International Student Financial Statement". For Visa eligibility, it is mandatory for international students to demonstrate that they can support their academic life while in school. (For Ph.D. students, if the Physics Department gives you support in the form of a full Teaching Assistantship, the total amount required to 'show' is much less.)
- If you do not SEND THE APPLICATION FEE, or send the wrong fee, your application will be held by the Graduate School until the proper fee is paid.
- Failure to TAKE ALL REQUIRED TESTS AND HAVE SCORES REPORTED TO US will result in an incomplete application. If the TOEFL score is required (international student) and not received, the Graduate Admissions Committee in Physics will not consider the application. If the Physics Subject GRE is missing (Ph.D. applicants only), the Committee will consider the application incomplete.
- Unofficial copies of your application materials (transcripts and test scores) for review may be uploaded with your application at:
firstname.lastname@example.org (in PDF format).
Official copies must be mailed to:
UNIVERSITY OF MASSACHUSETTS
140 HICKS WAY
AMHERST, MA 01003-9333 USA
- Any document sent to the Department must be forwarded to the Graduate Admissions Office, resulting in a delay.
- COMPLETE THE APPLICATION PROCESS EARLY! The Admissions Office is very busy before the January15th deadline date. Avoid delays by having your application arrive early. Applications may be submitted at any time and the review process will begin mid-December.