Jump to navigation
List of Application Requirements for the PhD Program in Physics
Your completed application for the PhD program in Physics requires:
- APPLICATION FORM - Instructions and link to on-line application can be found on the Graduate School website
- APPLICATION FEE: $85
- THREE ACADEMIC RECOMMENDATIONS - The Graduate School will e-mail referees with instructions for electronically submitting recommendations.
- OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPTS of all undergraduate and graduate institutions attended (1 copy of each). Unofficial copies are acceptable for review purposes, however official transcripts will be required if enrolling.
- TOEFL TEST SCORES for international applicants: Unofficial scores are acceptable for review purposes, however official score reports will be required if enrolling. Other exams may also be accepted, see the graduate school page here: https://www.umass.edu/graduate/apply/international-applicants
- DEADLINE: For the PhD program, applications received by December 15 receive priority treatment; applications will be accepted through January 15th.
- FINANCIAL STATEMENT - If enrolling, international students must complete the "International Student Financial Statement". For Visa eligibility, it is mandatory for international students to demonstrate that they can support their academic life while in school. (For Ph.D. students, if the Physics Department gives you support in the form of a full Teaching Assistantship, the total amount required to 'show' is much less.)
Mistakes and omissions can delay consideration of your application:
- If you do not SEND THE APPLICATION FEE, or send the wrong fee, your application will be held by the Graduate School until the proper fee is paid.
- Failure to take any required test and have scores reported to us will result in an incomplete application. If the TOEFL score is required (international student) and not received, the Graduate Admissions Committee in Physics will not consider the application.
- Unofficial copies of your application materials (transcripts and test scores) for review may be uploaded with your application at:
email@example.com (in PDF format).
Official copies must be mailed to:
UNIVERSITY OF MASSACHUSETTS
140 HICKS WAY
AMHERST, MA 01003-9333 USA
- Any document sent to the Department must be forwarded to the Graduate Admissions Office, resulting in a delay.
- COMPLETE THE APPLICATION PROCESS EARLY! The Admissions Office is very busy before the January15th deadline date. Avoid delays by having your application arrive early. Applications may be submitted at any time and the review process will begin mid-December.